Looking for a delicious way to cool off this summer? Try this fresh take on the traditional ice cream float. Easy to make at home, this cold brew coffee drink is sure to delight anyone who loves the combination of sweet and salty.
8 ounces cold brew concentrate (recipe below)
2 scoops vanilla gelato (or ice cream)
2 tablespoons smoked sea salt and vanilla syrup (recipe below)
Smoked sea salt for garnish
1. Cover a large mason jar with cheesecloth.
2. Add coffee.
3. Fill with pure, filtered water.
4. Steep for 12 hours at room temperature.
5. Make the smoked sea salt and vanilla syrup by combining water, raw sugar, vanilla and smoked sea salt in saucepan.
6. Bring to a boil to dissolve sugar, then let cool.
7. Strain cold brew and discard cheesecloth with grounds.
8. For the coffee float, mix smoked sea salt syrup and cold brew in glass.
9. Add vanilla gelato or ice cream.
10. Top with a splash of sparkling water.
11. Garnish with smoked sea salt.
12. Serve and enjoy.
For Cold Brew Concentrate – 16 Servings
1/2 pound (8 ounces) coffee. Recommended: STARBUCKS Kenya, coarsely ground
1 gallon filtered water
1 piece of cheesecloth for filter
1.Cover the top of a large mason jar with cheesecloth.
2.Pour ground coffee into cheesecloth so it’s suspended in jar.
3Fill jar with water so coffee is submerged. Put top on jar and steep at room temperature for 12 hours, then strain.
Can store in an airtight jar in fridge for up to 5 days.
Smoked Sea Salt and Vanilla Syrup
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1 vanilla bean, scraped*
A pinch of smoked sea salt
*If vanilla beans aren’t available, substitute one tablespoon of vanilla extract
1.Split the vanilla bean lengthwise, scrape the seeds using the edge of a knife, then add both the bean and seeds to a saucepan.
2.Add in all other ingredients over medium heat and cook until sugar dissolves and mixture just comes to a boil.
3.Remove from heat and cool completely.
4.Pour into a glass jar and store at room temperature.
Craft Smoked Sea Salt Coffee Float
1.In a tall glass, combine syrup and cold brew concentrate and stir.
Add gelato to taste, then top off with sparkling water and a sprinkle of sea salt.
Serve and enjoy.
Find this recipe and more holiday treats at athome.starbucks.com